Sunday, March 22, 2009

Wait

I've become totally obsessed with Tom Waits (again). Dee's response to this news: "oh, no."

I'm diving deeper into the catalog this time 'round, but my favorites at the moment are Closing Time (for his meloncholy), Nighthawks at the Diner (for his diner lounge side), and Rain Dogs (for his quirky)...if you make it through this one, and like it, you'll find the last song to be amongst the greatest album closers ever. Right up there with The End from The Doors first album...he kind of has that same hypnotic lead-man thing going on actually here.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Everything I know about Tom Waits comes from an episode of Fishing With John. Oh yeah he's in Dracula too.

I'll give him a listen. Need some new tunes. Tried to get into Elliott Smith lately but it's a little too melancholy.

deutschland said...

my favorite tom waits song of all time is "sins of my father"...for its bayou-ness

deutschland said...

also, "metropolitan glide", "hoist that rag", "trampled rose", and that one where he's like a wholesale commercial guy and just talks about all the amazing things this product does.

deutschland said...

and don't forget "down by law" and "coffee and cigarettes".

K-Snake said...

My nomination for strangest Waits song, of which there are many:

"'taint no sin"

Koko B. Reuter said...

By the by, the new Tom Waits biography drops a week from today. It's called Lowside of the Road: A Life of Tom Waits by Barney Hoskyns. Enjoy that library nugget.